If you’d like to try THE BEST BEEF STROGANOFF in the world- please give this recipe a try.
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 Medium White Onion, chopped
- 2 pounds beef sirloin
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cream or milk
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 (12 oz) package extra-wide noodles or other pasta
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook and stir until it is soft.
- Trim the fat from the meat and cut the meat into 1/4 in strips. Add to the pan and cook and stir until browned. Add the mushrooms, broth, salt, nutmeg, basil, cayenne, and pepper. Bring to a boil and immediately decrease the heat to low. Simmer until all but 1/2 cup liquid remains, about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to package directions, drain, and set aside.
- Stir the cream and sour cream into the meat mixture. Cook 1 minute more. Serve immediately over the cooked noodles.
- Serve with a green vegetable or a green salad. When you’re serving a heavy dish like stroganoff, it’s not necessary to serve bread, although a slice of crusty breads adds a crunchy texture to this “soft” meal.
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this meal!! And it’s so easy and great to serve company. My daughter-in-law Kim made this dish for us once with filet mignon, and it was a real treat! My daughter has a son who requests this meal once a week. She makes this recipe and then divides it into single serving portion sizes. She puts the individual meals into freezer containers and keeps them handy for when her son NEEDS to have his Beef Stroganoff. I think this is a great idea for a single person or couple that will have plenty of leftovers. It comes out tasting just as good as the day you made it. xo