Shepherd’s Pie is a long-time familiar dish to all cooks! Maybe the Ultimate Comfort Dish.We like it best made with chicken and can’t get enough of this recipe- Chicken, mashed potatoes, carrots, peas, fresh tarragon, and bread crumbs. It is the perfect meal. Easy steps to follow and can be prepared quickly, especially if you have left over mashed potatoes.
GO ahead and make this tonight! It’s simply delicious.
It’s COMFORT FOOD NIGHT -according to the Food Nanny Meal Plan 🙂 You have to try our weekly meal plan following The Food Nanny’s exclusive Theme Nights. It will give you a great variety of food in your diet and help you cultivate some healthy traditions. (Not to mention making the task of coming up with…”what’s for dinner tonight?” a no-brainer.) Our meal plan will help you create a home where you can serve delicious food EVERY NIGHT. We follow this plan because it works!! There is something magical that happens when you start cooking in your kitchen… Your house turns into this warm, cozy and love-filled home. You get to “fill your cup”, as one of our good friend says, and enjoy the warmth and smells that reward you for your efforts.
Are you hungry yet? Do it for yourself and your loved ones! It’s the most important thing you can do all day. Get your family together or whoever is home…sit down at the table and enjoy dinnertime…talking and getting to know each other. It’s the one part of the day where natural conversation can take place. Who doesn’t love that?!?!?!?!
- 6 medium Russet potatoes- about 2 lbs.
- ½ stick butter (1/4 cup)
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons minced green onions (optional)
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup cheddar cheese; or pepper jack cheese
- 3 boneless/skinless chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1¼ cups chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ cup frozen peas
- Chopped parsley to taste
- 1 Tablespoon fresh tarragon or rosemary, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1½ cups fresh breadcrumbs (3 pieces of sandwich bread)
- 4 Tablespoons melted butter
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1 inch squares. In a medium size sauce pan fill the pan with enough water to just cover the potatoes and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Add salt and pepper. Turn the heat down and boil until tender.
- Drain the potatoes. Add the butter, sour cream, mayonnaise, green onions and milk. Mix with an electric mixer until smooth. Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese. Season with coarse salt, fresh ground pepper.
- Wipe off the chicken breasts with wet paper towels. Cut the chicken into 2 in pieces. In a medium size saucepan over low heat, fry onion in the olive oil until almost caramelized, stirring regularly, then add the chicken. Season generously with coarse salt, fresh ground pepper and cayenne.
- Add 1 Tablespoon olive oil and fry the chicken and the carrot together for 3-4 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, melt the 2 Tablespoons butter and add 2 Tablespoons flour. Stir until bubbly. Add chicken broth. Whisk together and bring to a boil until thickened.Stir in the peas. Stir this sauce into the chicken and veggies.
- Add chopped parsley, rosemary or tarragon and paprika. Season to taste with coarse salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Butter a 9x13 in. baking dish. Put a layer of chicken and veggies on the bottom of the pan. Add a layer of mashed potato on the top. Repeat.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with the butter and spread over the top of the casserole. Dot with a few pieces of extra butter. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 min.
- Serve with: Green & yellow zucchini; Swiss chard; spinach; salad