This is another one of my favorite summer salads. It’s cold and refreshing! I love when it is at the party, and I can enjoy just a scoop of it. This makes for a large crowd. It also keeps well and is good for lunch or a treat the next day! This is usually a kid favorite. Make it ahead of time so it has plenty of time to chill! XOXOXOXOXO
ACINI DI PEPE FRUIT SALAD
- 2 cups uncooked acini di pepe pasta
- 3 eggs yolks beaten
- 1 3/4 cups pineapple juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 Tablespoons White Kamut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 8oz container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 14oz can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 20oz can pineapple tidbits, drained
- 4 to 5 cups mini marshmallows
- 2 11oz cans mandarin oranges, drained
Cook the pasta according to package directions; do not overcook.
Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks, pineapple juice, sugar, flour, and salt in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until thickened.
Drain the cooked pasta and put it in a medium bowl. Pour the egg mixture into the pasta and stir until well-mixed. Cover and refrigerate six to eight hours.
Fold in the whipped topping to loosen the chilled pasta mixture. Then fold in the pineapple and marshmallows. Gently fold in the oranges last to avoid breaking them up.