Prepare the potatoes ahead of time. Reheat.
CHEF JEAN LOUIS COQ AU VIN
- 1 fryer chicken cut up; or use
- 2 breasts with bone-in cut in half, and 4 thighs
- 1½ cups fresh pearl onions peeled; or frozen already peeled
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 liter red wine or pomegranate juice
- 3 - 4 sprigs each of fresh rosemary, thyme and oregano. (Can tie altogether to make an herb bouquet or “bouquet garni,” in French.)
- 3 cups white mushrooms cleaned, cut in half
Mashed potatoes with corn:
- 2 medium to large Russet potatoes
- 1/3 cup cream
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup fresh or frozen corn
- Coarse salt
- Fresh ground pepper
1. In a large fry pan over high heat brown the chicken in olive oil on both sides until golden brown. Salt and pepper lightly
2. Brown onions in a small sauce pan in olive oil on high heat stirring often to prevent burning them. They should be nice and brown.
3. Turn the heat down on the chicken and toss in one handful of flour (this is called “sash”), then toss in another handful of the flour….isn’t it fun?!!! This will thicken the drippings.
4. Add onions and one-liter wine or pomegranate juice to the chicken and let cook 1 min
5. Place individual sprigs of herbs or the garni, in the bottom of an oven proof pan and pour the chicken mixture and onions over top.
6. De-glaze the pan you fried the chicken in by adding in a little more juice until all the drippings and anything stuck to the pan are incorporated in the juice. Add this to the chicken in the pan.
7. Cover with foil and bake 1 hour and 15 min. at 350°
8. Quarter the potatoes and boil them with salt and pepper in enough water to cover until done. Mash with a fork, not a potato masher.
9. Heat the cream, butter and corn in a small saucepan on top of the stove and keep warm.
10. When 20 min. are left to finish cooking the chicken add the mushrooms. Cover and finish cooking.
11. When ready to serve, stir the cream mixture into the potatoes with a fork. Mix together with a little more salt and pepper and divide among four plates.
12. Spoon over the chicken mixture and serve. Bon Appetit!!!
Variations: May use all chicken breasts with bone-in or part breasts and