Monday Comfort Food
Our family and friends have been serving these sandwiches for over 25 years. They are a real crowd-pleaser. This recipe serves a small crowd, or you can easily double or triple it for larger groups. Plan ahead to allow the chicken salad to refrigerate for at least 2 hours before making sandwiches.
Make the chicken salad at least 2 hours ahead of time, and up to one day ahead. Add the cashews just before making the
CHICKEN SALAD CROISSANT SANDWICHES FOR A CROWD
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, or about 5 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 11 /2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons minced white onion
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 4 celery ribs minced
- ground black pepper
- 2 cups whole cashews
- 15 small croissants
1. Cook the chicken by your preferred method: poach, grill, or broil. Or simply cut chicken off the bones of a roast chicken from the deli.
2. Tear the meat into bite-size pieces. In a large bowl combine the chicken with the mayonnaise, onion, bouillon, and celery. Mix thoroughly; season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
3. Fold the cashews into the chicken salad mixture just before serving.
4. Split the croissants in half lengthwise and spoon the salad mixture onto one half of each croissant. Top with the other half.
Serve with baked beans and melon slices or a fruit platter.