- 1 lb dry spinach fettuccine
- 1 ⁄2cup chopped fresh cilantro 2 tablespoons reserved for garnish or finish
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno peppers seeds and veins may be eliminated if milder flavor is desired
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter reserve tablespoon per saute
- 1 ⁄2cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1 ⁄4lbs chicken breasts diced 3/4 inch
- 1 ⁄4medium red onion thinly sliced
- 1 ⁄2medium red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 ⁄2medium yellow bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 ⁄2medium green bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 1 ⁄2cups heavy cream
- EXTRA LIME FOR TOPPING
Prepare rapidly boiling, salted water to cook pasta; cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Pasta may be cooked slightly ahead of time, rinsed and oiled and then “flashed” (reheated) in boiling water or cooked to coincide with the finishing of the sauce.
Cook 1/3 cup cilantro, garlic and jalapeno in 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes. Add stock, and lime juice. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook until reduced to a paste like consistency; set aside.
Pour soy sauce over diced chicken; set aside for 5 minutes. Meanwhile cook onion and peppers, stirring occasionally, with remaining butter over medium heat. When the vegetables have wilted (become limp), add chicken and soy sauce; toss and add cream.
Bring the sauce to a boil; boil gently until chicken is cooked through and sauce is thick (about 3 minutes).
When sauce is done, toss with well-drained spinach fettuccine and reserved cilantro.
RIGHT BEFORE SERVING. squeeze lots of lime and sprinkle with extra coarse salt!
Serve family style or transfer to serving dishes.