We love this because its a meal all by itself! No sides needed! Of course adding a little garlic bread never hurt;). It is simple and delicious and one that kids LOVE too! We love the hot sausage for a little kick, but you can use the sausage of your choice. This will be a new favorite of your families too!
PENNE WITH SAUSAGE, RED POTATOES, AND GREEN BEANS
- 8 oz uncooked penne pasta
- 4 small red potatoes quartered
- 8 oz low-fat spicy bulk Italian sausage or whatever you prefer
- 1/4 cup minced yellow onion
- 2 small garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 lb. fresh green beans trimmed and cut in half (may use 1 14.5-oz can of cut green beans for speedy alternative)
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Romano Asiago, or Parmesan cheese, plus additional
Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain.
Steam the potatoes or cook them in boiling salted water until tender. At the same time, steam the beans (or cook in the microwave) until tender, 6 to 12 min.
Meanwhile, brown the sausage in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic; cook and stir until the onion is soft and the sausage is completely cooked. Pour in the broth and simmer for 3 minutes. Stir in the oil and butter until the butter melts. Add the green beans, potatoes, and pasta. Mix well with a large spoon. Add the parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
Decrease the heat to low and sprinkle 1/2 cup of the cheese over the mixture. Cover the pan and cook a few more minutes until the cheese is melted.
Serve immediately in the same pot or spoon the mixture into a large, shallow serving bowl or platter. Pass the extra cheese.