With St. Patricks Day coming up on Sunday, we wanted to show you a couple fun ideas to celebrate with your families! We don’t think you need to go crazy to make every holiday special. All it takes is a little extra time in the kitchen to make a festive dessert the whole family will love! You guys have seen these desserts before, but we can’t resist sharing them again. We promise, they really are THAT amazing.
CRAZY-GOOD FRUIT TART
To make this special for St. Patricks Day, we used a rectangular tart pan instead of our usual round pan. Feel free to use either one, we just wanted to have some extra fun! The gold at the end of the rainbow puts this dessert off the charts! Oh man, the almond extract in here is incredible.
- ½ cup butter at room temperature
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- Cream Cheese topping:
- 3 oz. cream cheese softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2½ cups of your choice of fresh fruit cleaned and rinsed.
- May use all one kind of fruit.
- Thinly sliced strawberries kiwi, or whole blueberries,raspberries or blackberries.
- Pre-heat oven to 400°.
- Mix the softened butter, sugar, flour, milk and almond extract with mixer or food processor until it comes together. Spray tart pan lightly with vegetable oil.
- Bake in the oven on the middle rack at 400° for 8 to 10 min. or until light brown around the top. Let cool in pan.
- When cool enough to handle, push the bottom of the tart pan out of the ring. Slide onto a cooling rack. Let the tart cool completely.
- Carefully slide the tart onto a serving dish.
- While the tart cools, make the cream cheese topping. With an electric hand mixer, mix the softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, extract and cream until thick and creamy.
- Spread evenly over top the cooled crust.
- Prepare the fruit of choice and decorate the tart. A nice way is to do one row around in one kind of fruit, one in another, etc. Whatever combination you like or all the same fruit.
- Serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap and chill up to 6 hours.
SUGAR COOKIE BARS
We love everything about these sugar cookie bars. Everyone loves a good sugar cookie, but they can be a labor of love! Sugar cookie bars have the same amazing taste without the work. Make them special for any holiday with a little food coloring and some fun sprinkles.
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 5 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 drops red food coloring optional
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing often each egg. Add vanilla and almond extract and mix. In a separate bowl combine the flour, salt, baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix just until combined. Spread on a greased baking sheet. (rimmed cookie sheet) and bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes. (You don’t want to over bake, just barley starting to brown.)
- Frosting: Combine all ingredients and blend until smooth!
So have some fun on Sunday by making one, or both, of these show stopping desserts. Make sure you watch both of these VERY VERY carefully while baking. You do not want to over bake! The best part about both the fruit tart and sugar cookie bars is they can be switched around for ALL holidays. Have fun with these, we can’t wait to see your masterpieces!