One day a friend Paula showed me how to make really dense cakes. I had no idea at the time that you literally pushed the cakes down while still hot to create this effect. I think this recipe of mine is fabulous tasting and an elegant dessert. I hope you enjoy!! XOXOXOXOX
STRAWBERRIES AND CREAM CAKE
- 1 18.25 ounce box white cake
- 1 cup White Kamut flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1/3 cups water room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup fresh strawberries about 7 berries
- 1/3 cup butter room temperature
- 4 oz. 1/2 cup cream cheese room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 cups powder sugar
Place oven rack in the middle of your oven. Preheat the oven to 325*.
Spray two 9-inch round cake pans with cooking oil. Cut parchment paper to the size of the bottom of the cake pan. (I place my cake pan on top of the paper and draw a circle around the pan, then cut and place the paper inside the pan.) Spray again!
In a large mixing bowl, add cake mix, flour, sugar, salt, and stir together. Add water, sour cream, coconut oil, vanilla, and almond extracts, and stir until combined. Add 4 egg whites, one at a time, stirring after each one until the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
Divide the batter evenly between the 2 pans which will each be 3/4 full. Place in the middle rack of your oven and cake for 35 to 38 mins. or until a wooden skewer comes out clean.
Immediately when the baked cakes are taken out of the oven, put 2 paper towels together and push the raised surface down till even with, or a teeny bit lower than, the edge of the pan. Make sure the levels are smooth and uniform. Push them down firm enough to ensure that the cake stays where you push it and that it doesn't spring back up.
After hot cakes are pushed down, invert them onto cooling racks. Remove the paper. Place the hot pans back over the layers and let them cool with the pans on the cake to keep the moisture and stream in.
Frost when cool.
Fresh Strawberry Frosting
1. Process berries in your food processor or blender until smooth. Strain the puree. Discard the seeds. You should end up with 1/3 cup of puree.
2. Beat the butter, cream cheese, vanilla and almond extract together with an electric mixer. Add puree. Gradually add the powdered sugar and mix until smooth at medium speed.
3. Spread evenly over the 2 layers and sides of cake. Place frosted cake in the refrigerator. Serve cold.